Many of us got our start in the web directory industry as volunteers with the Open Directory Project, Zeal, Go, or one of the other volunteer-driven web directories that were once so prominent. They are no longer as common, nor are the volunteers, but there are still active volunteer directories, including the ODP.
The directories listed below are some that I know to make good use of volunteers, although the work of some may be supplemented by paid staff. I will add others as I come across them. If you are involved with, or know of, any other directories that actively use volunteers, please let me know so that I can add them here.
- Best of the Web – I know that the BOTW has used volunteers in the past but I am not certain that they currently do, in their general web directory, but they are asking for volunteers for their blog directory.
- Christianity Sites – This is a new project, not yet ready for prime time, but which is seeking volunteer Christian editors who are interested in helping to develop a non-monetized directory of Christian resources.
- GAC Web Directory – Global Aircraft is an aviation organization that is looking for volunteer web directory editors for its niche web directory.
- JoeAnt – JoeAnt is a well respected web directory and, ss far as I am aware, JoeAnt is entirely operated by volunteers.
- Open Directory Project – Despite a common mantra that the ODP is dead, the directory continues to function, and is entirely dependent upon volunteer staff for editing tasks and organizational planning.
- Wikidweb – As its name implies, Wikidweb is a wiki-based web directory, and they could use some help over there.